Yaba Tech suspends academic activities as fire destroys hostel
Academic activities at the Yaba College of Technology have been suspended for three days after the female hostel of the school was gutted by fire in the early hours of Wednesday, destroying 20 rooms.
The building, Bakassi Hostel, is a double wing four-storeyed structure occupied by female students. The affected wing has 72 rooms, 20 of which were razed.
It was learnt that the fire, which started around 5am, was caused by a surge from a faulty socket in one of the rooms.
No fewer than 30 students reportedly sustained injuries in a stampede that resulted from struggle to flee their respective rooms to safety.