Easy recipe for preparing local Igbo soup -‘Banga Bitterleaf Soup’
Today on WakeUpNigeria we had Chef Mary Jane in the kitchen preparing ‘Banga Bitter leaf soup’. It is a local Igbo soup made here in Nigeria and something you can try this weekend. The soup is made with bitter leaf. It can be served with basically any swallow but for today Chef Mary Jane prepared semovita to go with the soup.
• Goat meat
• Palm oil
• Palmnut syrup(akwu)
• Blended pepper
• Seasoning cube
Steps to Follow:
- Put your palm nut syrup in a pot, place on the cooker and allow to cook.
- Allow to cook until oil settles on the top of the pot.
- Then pour the banga (palm nut syrup) into the pot of cooked meat and allow to simmer for a few minutes.
- In the mean time, mix your ofo (thickener) with red oil for smoothening and put in a bowl.
- Add your stockfish and catfish,
- Add your thickener and stir.
- Then add your crayfish, dry fish, seasoning cubes, salt and pepper.
- Allow to simmer a bit.
- Then finally, add your bitterleaf.
NB: Your bitterleaf goes in last so it does not overcook and loose it crisp taste.
Today’s Banga Bitterleaf Soup us served with semovita.
Try this easy steps to get the Banga bitter leaf soup in little or no time. Fast and easy way to make the local dish.