Floyd Mayweather cancels Japan kickboxing fight

Boxer, Floyd Mayweather Jr. has denied that he agreed to fight Japanese kickboxer Tenshin Nasukawa in a televised bout on New Year’s Eve.

The 41-year-old had initially confirmed the bout for 31st of December 2018 during a press conference which took place on Sunday night in Tokyo. It was also understood that he revealed that he signed with Japanese mixed martial arts promotions company RIZIN Fighting Federation.

After the announcement, his enemies, 50 Cent, Conor McGregor and many others blasted him for agreeing to fight a younger kickboxer.

However, Mayweather denied he confirmed fighting the young boxer, saying he and his team had been misled as to the conditions of the fight.

 

 

In a post on Instagram, the undefeated (50-0) fighter said that he had “never agreed to an official bout” with Nasukawa, and had in fact been approached about a short exhibition match for a “small group of wealthy spectators.”

 

Mayweather said he and his team had been “completely derailed by the new direction” of the event, as presented at a press event on Monday, after signing with Japanese promoters RIZIN Fighting Federation.

He said that he regrets not correcting the record at the time.

“For the sake of the several fans and attendees that flew in from all parts of the world to attend this past press conference, I was hesitant to create a huge disturbance by combating what was being said and for that I am truly sorry,” Mayweather said.

No Comments
Leave a Comment: